IGNORE THE DOUBTERS AND FLY ANYWAY
Did you know that according to calculations based on aerodynamic theories during 1918-1919, just 15 years after the Wright brothers’ successfully accomplished their historical flight, it was said that bumblebees should not be able to fly?(1)
In an interesting article by Ivars Peterson called Flight of the Bumblebee, he depicts how this myth’s origin was derived from the calculations of a famed aerodynamicist indicating that based on the insect’s weight and wing area, the produced lift generated by its wings were insufficient.(2) That it would be, according to mathematics, an impossible task. Obviously, however, that assumption was false.
Now why do I bring this up? Why is this such an important subject?
BECAUSE YOU SHOULD HAVE THE BUMBLEBEE MENTALITY AND FLY ANYWAY.
Similar to this tale, there are several instances where experts, friends, families, co-workers, or just people in general will make assumptions of you with limited knowledge. They will concoct opinions of you based on information that is privy to them that either proves their conclusions to be true or unscrupulously absurd. Despite public opinion, you must learn to ignore these outside noises. As Joel Osteen indicated in one of his sermons, the bumblebee seemed to have missed the expert’s memo and flew anyway. Regardless of what was said about its capabilities or supposedly lack thereof, it did what it was naturally inclined to do and paid no mind to the outside world. This, my dear Modern Alices, is a habit we need to pickup.
In this generation where a wave of negative thoughts seem to spread quicker than positive affinities, we need to train ourselves to drown out the antagonism. We need to void the dubiousness that result from slander. For as we know, people are more apt to succumb and partake in gossip which can derail our confidence and complicate relationships. In order to counter this cynicism, we need to exemplify the bumblebee mentality.
Ignore the naysayers and spread your wings anyway and soar to the skies. You are well equipped to complete any task or goal you have set for yourself. God has given you all the necessary talents to accomplish what you were meant to do, you just need to exploit them. Nothing anyone can say or do will derail that fact. We can succeed in tasks no matter how overwhelming or impossible they may seem. As Audrey Hepburn graciously said,
“Nothing is impossible. The word itself says ‘I’m possible’!”
Remember this: people will talk, boast, and criticize. They will encourage as well as demoralize. Regardless of their chosen action, be confident enough in who you are that either sides of the spectrum does not affect you. Those who support you will stand by you and those who oppose you, will try to detour you from your goals.
No matter what, stand firm and be like a bumblebee–HAVE THAT BUMBLEBEE MENTALITY–fly anyway.
Help pollinate the flowers of your dreams so that not only will the world benefit from your hard work, but you are rewarded with sweet honey as well.
- Sticks and Stones – Words are not hallow, but cumbersome and hold more weight than you realize.
- Why Reading Should Be Your Ultimate Pastime – The more you learn, the more you earn.
- Integrity of A Person – It’s not the luxuries a man has attained that makes him great, but it’s his integrity as a person.
- Don’t Make Mountains Out of Molehills – Don’t be such a drama queen.
- Keeping Motivated – Sometimes we hit a wall, but don’t ever forget why you started; always persevere.
Ever had a time in your life when you had to implement the bumblee mentality? Share your experience and tag us at #conqueringWonderland!
Join the movement: #ConqueringWonderland
* Image Disclaimer: The Modern Alice creates no claim or credit for images featured on our website unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to it’s respectful owners and we make every effort to link back to original content whenever possible. We follow typical web protocol through a general creative commons license, also generally known as “guide for internet sharing” where we believe in providing and receiving, proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer. If you own rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear here, please contact us and they will be promptly removed.