Start your own blog in just 5 minutes! ***UPDATED***
Dreaming of starting your own blog as a means for supplemental income, an outlet for your creativity, or starting a career pursuing your passion and love of writing? Don’t know where to look? Or have you come across “How to Start A Blog” tutorials that are just too confusing?
You’re in luck!
Today, you will be learning how to EASILY create your very own blog in minutes! Blogging today is a great way to create a portfolio that can quickly result in opening new revenue streams for anyone. We know. We’ve done it ourselves! Even our founder was able to resign from her corporate job and pursue her passions for writing and creating a hub for modern-day women to interact with each other after starting The Modern Alice. All this while making more money than she ever did. SO LET’S GET STARTED!
Below we have composed a thorough tutorial on how to quickly create your own blog in just minutes via Bluehost and WordPress.
How To Start A Blog
To officially start your blog on WordPress, click here. This allows you to use our promotion of hosting a website on Bluehost for as LOW as $3.49 per month! We then suggest to opening a separate window to follow the tutorial we created below. This will save you time, money, and energy.
When starting a blog, we highly recommend going with a self-hosted platform like WordPress and choosing Bluehost as a host service provider. (I promise this will be so much more beneficial for you both in the beginning and in the long run) At The Modern Alice, we personally use Bluehost and honestly couldn’t be happier. We originally started with Wix but found that it was not the best fit for TMA’s goals and had very limited services at the time specific to TMA’s blog vision. When you go with WordPress, you have an array of plugins at your disposal along with better capabilities when it comes to optimizing your blog to increase traffic. Couple that with Bluehost and their 24/7 technical support and available resources and you are golden. WIN!
As we mentioned, blogging can be life changing and it only takes a few minutes to get started with Bluehost. It also gives you the flexibility to create your own schedule and your own daily work pace with exponential payout. As seen from the founder of the blog MakingSenseofCents, Michelle was able to consistently make over $30,000 a month from her blog alone (I recommend visiting her blog even for 5-minutes) Blogging, after all, can develop from a simple hobby to a full-fledged six figure career. Just take a look at famous Bloggers Emily Schuman of Cupcakes and Cashmere or Chiara Ferragni of The Blonde Salad. The amazing thing about this is that YOU can do it too! All you need is to start with these simple steps through Bluehost!
1. Sign-up with Bluehost and register your domain name.
Bluehost is one of the TOP hosting providers and used by many successful bloggers. You can start your own website for as low as $3.49 a month by going through The Modern Alice! We worked with Bluehost so our readers can afford to start their blogs without breaking the bank! With our offer, get a FREE DOMAIN and FREE SITE-BUILDERS with a 12 month or longer hosting purchased plan. We suggest signing up for the 12-month hosting plan through Bluehost because it is very affordable and they have a 30-day money back guarantee!
- But why should I pay when I can get a free account with Blogger, Tumblr, or WordPress.com?
Because you have more FREEDOM! You have the ability to run your own advertisements and affiliate links which really helps you monetize your blog. Not only that, but you have your own FREE domain name. It’s a lot better to use www.myawesomeblog.com vs. www.myawesomeblog.tumblr.com. It looks more professional and legitimate. Also, some blog platforms do not allow extensive customization that self-hosted platforms like WordPress through Bluehost do. Ask any blogger and they will support the notion of going with a self-hosted blog.
- So is BlueHost easy to set up? YES!
- Once you click here (this gives you the promotion) you will want to click on the Get Started Now and choose your ideal plan. If you are new and would like to minimize your investment to see if blogging is really something you are comfortable with, we suggest going with the Basic Plan which charges $3.49 per month through OUR link. Something to be aware of is that they do charge up front for the duration you decide to go with (12 months, 24 months, or 36 months).
- Enter your desired domain name. Now finding a name for your blog is crucial to your brand and your business. This is something that you will want to stick with forever as changing names in the future can be very difficult. You want to make sure that you know what the essence of your brand is and that your name clearly resonates with your intended message and goal.
- When choosing which package to select, it is important to go over the blog costs:
If you are looking for the CHEAPEST route, we suggest going with the BASIC plan for $4.49 (through our link) and sign up for 12 months which equates to $59.40 upfront. This still gives you the free domain and 24/7 technical support along with the 1-click WP install. HOWEVER, we do HIGH RECOMMEND going with the $3.49 for 36 months. The main reason being is that it automatically renews the process for you for three years so your blog does not have any service interruption. We would like to emphasize the importance of a yearly subscription hosting plan versus a month-to-month payment. The latter method actually costs you significantly more and again can affect your service through interruption of maintenance, delay in service, and loss of visitors/traffic due to being unable to access your website.
When finalizing your package, there are a few more options that Bluehost gives along with the hosting price itself. Two that we highly recommend are the Domain Privacy Protection which is $0.99 per month and the Site Backup Pro which is $2.99 per month. Security is a big deal when it comes to blogging along with making sure that your site is backed up properly. You don’t ever want to run into issues that deal with either of the aforementioned categories. It’s better to take precautionary methods now than having to exhaust more time, energy, and money if you have to rectify issues pertaining to either privacy breach/spamming or lost and unrecoverable work.
- Once you have decided which package to go with and the other additional features, Bluehost will ask for your payment information. The moment you submit and the payment goes through…Voila! You are done with obtaining your domain and your hosting provider.
You have officially completed a crucial part of your blogging journey! You have created your account with Bluehost and registered your domain name.
Here is a quick recap of the following steps:
2. Connecting your domain and your hosting.
Note: If you are transferring your domain registration please follow the instructions below. (If you are registering your domain name with Bluehost, you can go ahead and skip to Part 3)
These instructions are directly obtained from Bluehost:
Before starting the transfer
- Contact the current registrar (where you bought the domain) to unlock the domain, pause or disable any sort of domain privacy or protection, and retrieve the EPP or Authorization code.
- Make sure the whois contact information is correct as we will be sending a verification code to the email address listed. If domain privacy is “on” this will not work, please turn off privacy before this step.
To start the transfer
- Log into your Bluehost Control Panel and click the Domains tab at top of the page.
- Select the domain you wish to transfer from the list.
- To the right of the domain, under the “Main” sub-tab, click on the link “Transfer this domain to your account”
- Read the information presented and provide the EPP code then click continue.
- We will now send an email containing a second verification code to the administrator email address. If you do not have access to this email address, contact the current registrar and update the WHOIS contact information.
- Enter the second verification code and click continue.
- Select the options you require for nameservers, Autorenewal, Contact Information, Privacy and agree to the Terms of Service. Click “Add transfer to shopping cart.”
- Complete the checkout process.
3. Install WordPress
I’m sure this upcoming portion is the most anticipated part of this whole tutorial. In this section, we will show you how to install WordPress right onto you Mac or PC. Thankfully, with Bluehost, it has never been easier to install.
Note: You can install this manually via WordPress.org or through Bluehost (which is what we recommend you do, especially for all beginners). Plus, going through Bluehost is FREE.
- When you have completed all the prior steps, go directly to your cPanel. This is your homepage where all the resources you need will be stored. You will also receive a link directing you to this page from your welcome email from Bluehost. Once you are in cPanel, click on the orange icon under the website section called “Install WordPress” or you can also go to “Mojo Marketplace.”
- Once you have clicked on that icon, you will be taken to this page. You have 4 options. Click the “Install” button at the top under the “Do It Yourself” section. This is the self-service installation that is free and will only take a few minutes. If you are not confident doing it by yourself and need assistance, you have the option to hire Bluehost to set WP up for you or you can contact us and we would be more than happy to help!
- Then, click on the “Start” button. This will take you to a page that will prompt you to choose which domain you want to install WordPress on. Click on the drop-down menu to decide which domain you are planning on using.
- Before you click on the installation, however, you will want to click on the check-box that says “Advanced Options.” This gives you the ability to make any changes to your username and password for your WP website. (Advice: Do not use Admin as your username as it is the most popular for hackers to try when hacking bloggers’ websites).
- After choosing your username and password, make sure you click on the check-box indicating that you agree to the “Terms and Conditions.” As you know, without this approval, you will not be able to install and move forward. Once you do, you will also want to indicate that you want to “Automatically create a new database for this installation” as well. If you already have a different database then ignore that prompt.
- After you have checked the boxes, click on “Install Now” and your installation will begin in a few seconds. Once completed, you are all set to choose your WordPress template!
YAY! Congratulations once again!
You officially now have created your own WordPress blog! This is where the exciting parts start to happen. The next step is to look for a WordPress template that fits your vision and your brand. From there, you are ready to produce high-quality content and visuals for your readers and grow your blog.
Blog templates for WordPress can be pretty overwhelming. There is an array of choices to pick from and sometimes it can be pretty confusing. You can choose from simple templates that have one or two columns or ones with a responsive layout. There are a plethora of themes that are free that you can pick and customize or ones you can purchase that are more complex but have all the bells and whistles. When starting your blogging journey, we advise to keep it simple and avoid boiling the ocean.
There are two ways to go about downloading WordPress themed templates for your website.
The first way is to download directly from WordPress. On your sidebar once you are in the Dashboard, click on Appearance. From here you will automatically be taken to the Themes page which will house all the themes you have downloaded for your website. You probably will not have any at the current moment since you have just installed WP. However, if you click on the “Add New” button at the very top of the page (Next to Add Themes), this will take you to a page that provides FREE downloadable templates. So look through the choices and have fun!
(Note: As you can see from the image above, The Modern Alice has downloaded a few templates to choose from. It’s ok to change up your template after a while to freshen things up. A word of caution to that statement, however, don’t change your templates too often that your readers get confused on how to navigate your website or get caught uploading a theme that does not match you brand’s aesthetics.)
2. Third Party
The second option for downloading WordPress themes is through a third-party company. There are a multitude of graphic designers and programmers that specializes in creating WordPress templates for businesses and bloggers. Personally, The Modern Alice uses Pipdig who has beautiful templates for extremely affordable prices. Another popular site that is known for great templates is Envato. Their The Voux template is especially good for fashion bloggers—with this particular theme, however, you should have a little bit of experience or add their extended technical support to your purchase as it is a little more complex when setting up.
Note: If you have seen a fashion blog and would like to know who the creator of their template is, check out a site called idthed. This awesome website allows you to enter the blog name and find out who designed it. It’s a pretty nifty little site and exposes you to different types of templates if you have the time to browse–a great tool for finding inspiration.
There it is Modern Alices! If you haven’t already done so and are looking to sign up for Bluehost, but still have questions or a bit hesitant to move forward, feel free to contact us via email directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or TMA’s founder at email@example.com and we will be more than happy to help! We know it can be a daunting task, but we are dedicated to helping you in any way! That’s what we are here for! So leave a comment, send a private message on our Contact page or send us an email directly. We are here to help!
Let us know what your thoughts are on the tutorial or if you have any additional best practices for starting bloggers. Hope you enjoyed our tutorial. If there is anything else we can elaborate on when starting a blog with WordPress on Bluehost, please let us know.
The Modern Alice will also be starting a new series of posts specifically pertaining to blogging tips. So don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to our NEWSLETTER! <3